By Nelson Lichtenstein
For greater than thirty years Nelson Lichtenstein has deployed his scholarship--on hard work, politics, and social thought--to chart the historical past and customers of a innovative the USA. A Contest of Ideas collects and updates lots of Lichtenstein's so much provocative and arguable essays and reviews.
These incisive writings hyperlink the destiny of the exertions move to the modifications within the form of global capitalism, to the increase of the civil rights stream, and to the activists and intellectuals who've performed such vital roles. Tracing vast styles of political idea, Lichtenstein bargains very important views at the dating of work and the kingdom, the tensions that typically exist among a tradition of rights and the assumption of cohesion, and the increase of conservatism in politics, legislation, and highbrow lifestyles.
The quantity closes with graphics of 5 activist intellectuals whose paintings has been important to the conflicts that interact the hard work move, public coverage, and political tradition.
Read Online or Download A Contest of Ideas: Capital, Politics, and Labor PDF
Similar united states of america books
* complete colour throughout.
* loose full-color, foldout map.
* thoroughly up to date each year.
* each one of our candid inn stories relies on a close own inspection. You'll locate lavish beachfront lodges, intimate rain-forest B&Bs, family-friendly condos, and masses, even more. Our eating stories are easily the easiest within the enterprise, no matter if you crave state-of-the-art Asian-fusion delicacies or a hearty, cheap plate lunch.
* Our writer makes definite that you'll really adventure the spirit of aloha, and she'll assist you stay away from whatever that's overpriced, touristy, or inauthentic. With Frommer's in hand, you'll be aware of the place to discover secluded seashores, mystery spots for snorkeling, the simplest clothing stores to decide on for every little thing from diving to deep-sea fishing, and the place to discover the pinnacle galleries and shops.
* inside of you'll locate large insurance of family-friendly lodgings and actions, how you can get married within the islands, suggestions for the simplest honeymoon motels, and invaluable suggestion on discovering the easiest airfares and package deal offers. no matter if you need to watch the fiery spectacle on the enormous Island's volcano, play a difficult around of golfing, snorkel with sea turtles, or just relax with a mai tai to observe the sundown, you could layout the best journey with Frommer's Hawaii.
Drawing on remarkable entry to resources together with attorneys, The Weed Runners is either journalistic exposé and event tale. there's a enormous community fueling the continued national explosion of scientific marijuana, and this ebook makes a speciality of a really dynamic three-year interval from 2009 to 2012.
A bike the dimensions of Roz's Betty Boop could were past the goals of the craziest pack chief on the Ace Café on London's North round street within the monochrome days of rockers, Nortons, Bonnevilles and Marianne Faithfull, whilst 'good' used to be heart classification, 'bad' misunderstood and the motorbike provided stark desire to a new release of inarticulate searchers .
The historical past of the olive within the Gold state of Northern California is a narrative of the Spanish within the New global, of the Gold Rush, of immigrants from Italy and different Mediterranean international locations, of daring pioneers, enterprising farmers and scientists, and of businessmen and businesswomen. concentrating on Calaveras County within the south and Placer County within the north, but additionally exploring the olive all through such a lot of Northern California, together with olive havens resembling Corning and Oroville, that tale is instructed inside of those pages via infrequent and engaging pictures.
- The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family
- West from Appomattox: The Reconstruction of America after the Civil War
- Warriors and Politicians: US Civil-Military Relations Under Stress (Cass Military Studies)
- After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
- Latino Stats: American Hispanics by the Numbers
- Historical Dictionary of U.S. Diplomacy from World War I through World War II (Historical Dictionaries of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations)
Additional info for A Contest of Ideas: Capital, Politics, and Labor
Indd 28 5/24/13 8:04 AM chapter 2 Supply-Chain Tourist; or, How Globalization Has Transformed the Labor Question I’m not much of a tourist, but I’m proud to think that I have visited what are, arguably, the three most important nodes of capitalist production during the last hundred years. When I toured the huge Ford production complex at River Rouge during the winter of 1978, “Detroit,” as both organizational metaphor and industrial city, was already well past its prime. But the world of classical Fordism still cast an impressive shadow across the economic landscape and the social imagination.
Steel in their heyday. But Wal-Mart owns no factories either in the United States or East Asia; it does not even own or operate the container ships or the four-million-square-foot San Bernardino distribution center that is so crucial to the transshipment of the billions of dollars in consumer products that leave Hong Kong and Shenzhen each month, destined for sale on a million Wal-Mart shelves in more than four thousand North American discount stores. Wal-Mart is not General Motors; there are no unions, most employees are women, and the company manufacturers nothing.
The giant retailers of our day, Wal-Mart first among them, “pull” production out of their far-flung network of vendors. The manufacturers no longer “push” it onto the retailer or the consumer. Or to extend the metaphor, the nearly continuous stream of container ships that move between Shenzhen and the Long Beach/Los Angeles port complex are “pulled” across the Pacific, not “pushed” by the Chinese manufacturers who stuff their product into nearly half a million forty-foot containers each year. Moreover “pull” production requires speed, predictability, and accuracy in the delivery of goods.